10 Tips For Choosing The Right Domain
Choosing a domain is similar to choosing a name for your business, it requires a lot of consideration. Your domain and URL plays a big role when it comes to search; but why is your domain name so important?
- It’s Your First Impression - Your URL is the first thing your visitors see. A good domain name can make a positive and lasting impression.
- It Affects SEO – Although exact match domains (EMD’s) are no longer a necessity, keywords or locations in your domain can help your SEO rankings.
- It Defines Your Brand – Your name is a branding opportunity and choosing the right brand can increase awareness amongst customers and prospects.
So how do you choose the right domain name?
- Start with Keywords– Keywords can help improve your SEO, but you need to be careful not to ‘keyword stuff’. If you do choose to add keywords, try to put these at the start of your domain name, as this is more powerful when it comes to search.
- Make It Short, But Not Too Short – In general, when it comes to the length of your domain, the shorter the better. There is substantial research out there that highlights the length of your domain name affects its popularity we recommend aiming for between 6-14 characters.
- Make It Easy To Type – Your visitors should be able to type your domain name without a problem. If you have to explain the spelling for it to be understood, then it’s too complicated.
- Make It Unique – Your domain plays a huge part in your brand and you need to make sure it stands out. Having a domain that closely resembles another popular brand is never a good idea, as it can lead to confusion. Also, be careful that you’re not being so unique that you loose traffic.
- Make It Memorable – The ideal domain name should give visitors a good idea of what your business is about. Having a great website isn’t much use if no one can remember the URL.
- Build Your Brand – A brandable domain name is unique and makes you stand out from the crowd, avoid domain names that are generic and can get lost in the crowds.
- Don’t Fall For Trends – Just because something is trending now doesn’t mean it always will. Stay away from odd spellings, hyphens and numbers. Keep it straight forward, focused and easy to remember.
- Think Long-Term – This domain name defines your business and brand, don’t pin yourself down to a certain niche if you are looking to grow and expand the services or product you offer. If you decide to change your domain in the future, this can prove a costly exercise as it also involves changing your entire branding which collectively can affect your SEO rankings.
- Do Your Research! – Before you move towards a specific domain name, check to see if the name is trademarked, copyrighted and available on social media.
- Try A Domain Selection Tool – If you’re finding it difficult choosing a domain name, then why not try a domain selection tool? We recommend http://www.domainsbot.com/ or https://www.namemesh.com/ to help you find that perfect domain, but keep our advice in mind when using these types of tools.
Having a domain that tells your visitors and search engine who you are can hugely help in establishing your business and brand online.
If you would like any more help and advice when choosing a domain name then please get in touch today on 01159 722 050 or email email@example.com
What are Google Algorithms
The Google Fred Update- What You Need to Know
10 Ways To Make Your Website Stand Out
Share This Article: